Sunday, February 23, 2014

My aha! moment tonight.

Much of the Passover symbolism is lost to us because we aren't familiar with the customs and traditions of Bible times. Tonight as I was doing my Believing God study Beth Moore was discussing how in faith Moses was obedient to God and followed his instructions; therefore God passed over the Israelites homes and spared their first born. She drew the parallel between the celebration of the first Passover in Exodus 12 and the crucifixion of Christ, the sacrificial Lamb. I researched Passover symbolism and did you know that it was Jewish tradition to select a lamb, without defect (vs. 5), five days before the lamb was to be killed in the temple as the Passover sacrifice for the sins of the people of Israel; AND Jesus entered Jerusalem on lamb selection day (as the lamb of God) 5 days before he was crucified. The day Jesus was crucified was the day of the Passover celebration, I did not know this because I am dumb. In fact, he was having the Passover meal with the disciples when he did The Last Supper. For the previous 1,200 years the priest would blow the shophar (ram's horn) at 3:00 p.m. - the moment the lamb was sacrificed. All the people would pause to contemplate the sacrifice for sins on behalf of the people of Israel. Jesus breathed his last at 3:00 p.m., the 9th hour (Luke 23:44). "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit (vs. 46)." At that moment the Passover lamb was sacrificed both figuratively and literally as the shophar was blown from the Temple. I wonder if they could hear the ram's horn being blown from the Temple in the distance as they looked on at Golgatha. The sacrifice of the lamb of God was fulfilled at the hour the symbolic animal was sacrificed all these years since Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt. There's more of course and it's all absolutely fascinating, but just wanted to share that. Every moment His Son stepped foot on this earth he was fulfilling his Father's meticulously orchestrated plan to redeem His chosen ones. "In days to come, when your son asks you, 'What does this mean?' say to him, 'With a mighty hand the LORD brought us out of Egypt (the captivity of sin), out of the land of slavery (death). This is why I sacrifice to the LORD the first male offspring (Jesus the firstborn of the dead - Colossions 1:18-19) of every womb and redeem each of my first born sons (Exodus 13:14)." Salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment