Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"Help me overcome my unbelief!"

I was reading in Mark 9 a story of a man who sought the healing of his son, who was possessed by a demon.  Jesus and his disciples came across this man and the man pleaded with Jesus asking, "... but if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."  Jesus's reply seemed to echo around in my head as I read on, "'If you can'?" I can hear the tone in his voice, I can see the expression on his face as he looks back at the man completely flabbergasted, if not utterly offended that he would dare doubt his power to heal.  "Everything is possible for him who believes."  The man embarrassed by his unbelief tries to quickly recover, "I do believe," but alas he has recognized the unbelief in his heart and repents before Jesus.  "... help me overcome my unbelief!"

I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God and true, I believe we have a very real enemy called Satan, I believe Christ can set anyone free of captivity, I believe God loves me and created me for His glory ... but some how I still struggle to believe that God wants what is best for me.  The next few years are full of uncertainty.  What direction should we head in with my husband's career?  When do we have more children?  How am I going to be a single parent to more than one child if we do have more children (military deployments)?  One word ... finances?  The fact that I am unsure of our future, fearful even, that we will end up making the wrong decision even though we are actively seeking God's direction for our life and end up unhappy, negatively impacting our family - shows my lack of faith.  I want to fall on my face and cry out, "Lord, help me overcome my unbelief!"

Isaiah 48:17 "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go."  

I absolutely cling for dear life to this verse!  God knows better than I what is best for me.  God desires what is best for me.  He WILL direct my path and lead me to what is best for me.

Matthew 6:25-34 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life ...  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feed them.  Are you not much more valuable than they? ... See how the lilies of the field grow.  They do not labor or spin. ... If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? ... For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." 

Psalms 18:30 "As for God, his way is perfect."

Amen!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Kelly! When are you going to write a daily devotional? "A Mother's Thoughts With God: A Daily Devotional by Kelly Kipp". It'd be a bestseller! I love how you tie the valid truths of scripture with your own open thoughts. Brilliant! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep trusting. And I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete