Sunday, January 2, 2011

My New Years Resolutions

2011 is a new year, a clean slate!  I literally get a fresh start moving to Columbus, GA.  I am looking forward to setting up our family in a new house.  I am excited about making new friends and getting to know some old friends in Columbus a little bit better.  I'm moving closer to family and looking forward to being more involved in their lives.  Maybe it was how I grew up but I embrace change, it reenergizes me.  Cheers to a new beginning!

New Year resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a personal goal, project, or the reforming of a habit. This lifestyle change is generally interpreted as advantageous. A New Years Resolution is generally a goal someone sets out to accomplish in the coming year.

With a new year comes things you resolve to change or improve about yourself.  I wanted to get a few of my New Year resolutions written down on paper, or a computer screen, so here we go:

1. To continue running.  Running has been therapeutic for me lately.  Getting out in the cool fresh air away from the house and the demands of children/husband.  Pushing my mind and my body to keep going no matter how much I want to quit.  It's 30 minutes of me time.  I actually have started looking forward to my run.  I have never in my life been able to say that!  This afternoon I reached my first running goal, to run two miles.  My husband was so proud of me and called me, a runner.  Queue choir of angels.  I'd like to one day be able to keep up with my husband.  I'd love to be able to run with him.

2. Keep in touch with the friends I am moving away from and maintain those relationships.  Growing up with parents that were missionaries we moved a lot.  I made friends and said goodbye more times than I can count.  I have never been good at keeping in touch with the friends I move away from.  I do this unintentionally, but I believe it helps me deal with so many goodbyes.  I resolve to change though!  There are a few friends in particular that I have really grown close to in the past couple years.  I am going to stay in touch and be a good friend even though separated by miles.  I love these girls and hope to encourage them and to continue to be there for them if only through a phone call or Facebook message.

3. To read and write more.  I really enjoy writing and reading helps you become a better writer so these two go hand in hand.  My writing outlet will probably be this blog.  

4. To encourage women to grow in their relationship with Christ.  This past year I did a bible study with a group of ladies that I came to love.  I really enjoyed leading the study, listening to their struggles, praying for them, and learning with them.  I am not a good speaker and I do not have a wealth of knowledge about biblical things, so it was definitely stepping outside of my comfort zone to lead discussion time and to pray out loud!  Praise the Lord, God can still work past my shortcomings and insecurities.  It is the most fulfilling feeling knowing that God is working in other people's lives through you.  I pray that this year I will have the privilege of being used to lead others to a more fulfilling and honoring relationship with Christ.  I hope to be an encouragement to my friends because life is hard and you cant do it without the support of others around you.


5. To be more transparent.  I appreciate transparency in other people so I'd like to be more so in my own life.  I want to be more authentic especially as I begin making new friends in Columbus.  Say what I mean, mean what I say.  I want to always be me, not who I think you want me to be.  


I probably have a few more but it's late and I need to get to bed.  Which reminds me ...


6. To get more sleep.  Already failing miserably at this one. 











No comments:

Post a Comment