Thursday, May 19, 2011

Quality Time

Children are amazing. They have this unconditional, adoration for their parents. There is absolutely nothing they love more than quality time with you. We get frustrated when we are trying to get housework done, have our face buried in Facebook land, or busy getting dinner on the table and our children are fussy, hanging all over us. Have you ever stopped to think why they are having a melt down? They just want a moment of our time. Kind of makes you feel bad snapping at them to leave you alone for 5 minutes! Too often we get caught up in our to do lists, work, projects, cleaning, smart phones, etc. and neglect the little ones that crave our attention. Too often we frustrate them, expecting them to live up to our standard of clean and orderly, obedient, or mature when our expectations are through the roof, unattainable for their age. Today I did nothing but lavish my kids with my undivided attention. They were content whatever we were doing so long as I was engaged and interacting with them. They love being with me! I am their hero. I make them laugh and smile. I heal boo boo's with a single kiss. I am all they need to be happy. I am better than a Dora popsicle. There were no time outs, no tantrums, no hurt feelings, or tears. Especially if you are a working parents take a look at your day and pay attention to how much quality time you are spending with your kids. Quality time meaning, NOT a toy in one had and checking Facebook on your phone in the other. NOT trying to make them color a certain way or do a creative art project the way you think it should be done. NOT setting them down with a toy and expecting them to keep themselves entertained while you finish scrapbooking. NOT running around town with them doing your errands, your agenda. NOT sitting outside with them and simply watching them play while you relax or read a book. How often do you actually engage and interact with your children? We replace time with our children with play dates, daycares, tv, and the expectation of self entertainment. They may not have to work so hard in negative ways (tantrums, whining, crying) if you are fulfilling them in positive ways. Just something to think about.


2 comments:

  1. The amazing thing is, as I get older, and my kids are grown, all I want is to be with my kids!!!!Dont need fancy clothes, furniture, boats, expensive hobbies or houses(well a beach house would be nice)just want to have quality time with my kids and grandkids.
    Funny, how that works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hit the nail on the head for my morning....nay, my month, with these thoughts. quality time isn't my forte and the pressure to rise to the particular occasion of doing a single/stay-at-home mom thing is pushing me to the limits of my selfishness... thank you for the thoughts that put my own in check. :)

    ReplyDelete