Sunday, May 15, 2011

Love life!

*dust the cobwebs off my blog* ... and I'm back from a busy month! Spent a fun Easter with family, went to a marriage/parenting conference in Destin, FL (awesome), nursed my family back to health after a nasty virus, and had a beautiful restful Mother's Day weekend! Hello blog, I missed you.

So, I don't know if this is the first time I have really applied myself to making friends or if Columbus is just a mecca of awesome people, but I have been meeting some really fantastic people lately. For a long time I haven't really had much say in who my friends were because, as a military spouse, you are friends with your husband's buddies wives whether you like it or not. Some times that works out just fine and other times ... well, not so much, but you suck it up and be friendly anyway. Here in Columbus though, I have definitely pushed myself out of my comfort zone for the first time in a long time, taking initiative, looking for, and pursuing friendships. Friendships with people that I am drawn to, and not necessarily because our husbands work together. I am so not an extrovert these days. I might have been when I was, like 5, but I'm somewhere in between an introvert/extrovert and reenergize by myself, in quiet places (Quiet? These days?!? In THIS house?!? HA. HA. Thus why I am not "energized" often.) If I ever come off as an extrovert it is because I am pushing myself to be. I feel a little rusty "making new friends" and some times walk away wondering, oh gosh did I talk too much? Am I dressed ok? I hope my kids were ok. DID THEY LIKE ME?!? As someone who hasn't really connected well with the female species throughout my life (related better to guys, from growing up with 4 brothers I guess), I have surprisingly found women that I have a lot in common with, that I admire, and enjoy spending time with. Who have kids for my kids to play with ... oh and most importantly, my husband actually likes their husbands! Ladies you know some times that's the hardest part when you're shopping for a good hang out couple. For my husband in particular it's tough finding "civilians" that he likes. His "kind" tend to be snobs to anyone not in their particular branch of service. His words, not mine. So for both of us to connect with a couple, especially a non military couple, is an absolute miracle! I mean it's just been great, such a blessing! Truly an answer to prayer. We met a couple of families from church that we absolutely adore. I really hope we're able to become better friends because Jon and I really need some good godly couples in our life to fellowship with. I am so excited about my new friendships! It sure is making the transition to Columbus a lot easier knowing a few friendly faces in the crowd. We had a fun weekend with new friends and are looking forward to, hopefully, many more fun weekends to come!

Next, my house. I have been so frustrated lately with the house because, it just wasn't coming together like I would like. I'm not the best decorator and don't have anything on the walls yet. It's really been bumming both Jon and I out. Hard to settle in to a new house with bare walls and boxes in the corner. Well this weekend we finally did something about it! I dragged my husband to Kohl's with me (plug for Kohl's, I LOVE KOHL'S) and we started looking for some decor for the house. I just got a few things but it was amazing how much of a difference a little art on the wall makes! The dining room is looking like a dining room, I just need to get some valences for the windows and a green plant. Maybe a table cloth for a splash of color. I put a wall mural up on Kaley's wall and above our bed, hung some pictures, put a lamp here, some art there. WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MAKES. Jon was so happy. I am going to keep working on it and maybe, just maybe, start feeling comfortable enough (and not embarrassed) to invite company over to our house! Lol. *Accepting tips, links, pictures, advice, a shopping buddy, etc. to decorating for those who have been blessed with creativity and have an eye for this stuff!*       

The kids and I are settling into a good routine during the week. I have started homeschooling Kaley for a bit in the morning. This week she learned two bible verses and studied her numbers and letters. It's amazing watching that little brain of hers grow. I joined a gym! SO. EXCITING. Working out has always been my outlet and since we moved here it's been tough fitting it into my husbands schedule waiting for him to watch the kids for me. Finally I found a gym with childcare and joined. Ya'll. You just don't understand what this means to me. I get a glorious hour by myself to recharge, whenever I want. Kaley get's to play with some kids and I get to work up a good soul cleansing sweat! I convinced a couple of friends to join with me so hopefully I will end up with a good workout partner LADIES!!! :)

So that's me in a nutshell lately. Loving life. Making new friends. Loving my kids. Loving my man. Missing sleep, but what a short season in life this will be. Just going to keep reminding myself to enjoy it while it lasts!






2 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetie.....its Dad on Mom's site. What a precious Sweetheart you are. I see God blessing you each step of the way and filling you with the grace to trust Him with each new day. I can't wait to see you house as you turn it into your home. You are my Happy Thought :) Thank you for sharing your precious life with Mom and Dad and friends today. You are All That and Bag of Chips....Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! esp like the one of you with josh on your lap!
    I Hope you are saving these blogs somewhere(hard copy)WOuld make a great book for young moms(or old moms for that matter!)

    ReplyDelete