Tuesday, December 6, 2011

December

Life update. Is it December already? Christmas is right around the corner I can't believe it. My Christmas shopping is just about wrapped up, no pun intended. Kaley and I have been enjoying all the little things that come along with Christmas. Christmas trees, decorations, baby Jesus, reindeers, gingerbread houses, Santa Claus, Christmas music, lights, etc. This year I am putting as little emphasis on Christmas presents as possible. I don't want that to become the focus of Christmas around here. In fact, my husband and I decided that we're not going to teach Kaley that Santa Claus only brings presents to good children or that if she's on the naughty list she gets nothing. We are going in a completely different direction with discipline these days (Shepherding a Child's Heart) and teaching her to be obedient to God and to us as her parents. So as far as she's concerned, Santa Claus brings presents to all the kids, he loves to share ... but most importantly we are celebrating Jesus's birthday. I like it. :)

I got the kids Christmas outfits the other day! Now I just need to pull out my camera and see if I can get a cute picture for a Christmas card. I have some good ideas for Christmas pictures if I can only get two squirmy kids to cooperate!

I don't really find myself getting caught up in the Christmas stress. The kids and I are just taking life a day at a time. There's plenty around here to keep me busy, but I'm also not against "wasting" the morning away playing with Joshua or painting with Kaley. No pressures with a clear schedule, one of the benefits of being a stay at home Mom. I really want to pull out my sewing machine and start a few projects, but I can't sew. I know how to turn on my sewing machine, thread the needle, and do a straight stitch but, where do I start? What do I make? I'd like to make some curtains for my sons room. Any suggestions on patterns, where to find them? Mom where are you when I need you?

What is God teaching me these days?   

I am praying for a meek and humble spirit. An attitude of acceptance and submission without resistance to the will and desires of someone else. A willingness to put self second to what is good for others. It is the opposite of self-will, self-interest, and self-assertiveness. My word of the week is "haughty", to be condescendingly proud. Proverbs 16:18 "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall." I find I struggle with haughty eyes and a proud heart when I am not actively seeking after God. I become less and less dependant on God and lean more on myself which leaves me stranded in a "fog", as my friend Tiffany would say. My haughty spirit manifests itself through mean spirited thoughts, and though confined in my head it poisons my attitude towards others. It reminds me of what a sinner I am and how much I need Jesus. If Kaley only knew how often MOMMY needs to sit in time out too! Praise God for the example of parenting children - how He disciplines, forgives, and restores us in love, just as we do our little ones (on our good days) haha.

1 comment:

  1. your attitudes on your blog blessed me today--we all need to be reminded of desiring that meek and quiet/submissive spirit, trusting in GOd and less on ourselves.
    now about that sewing machine--go make curtains.

    ReplyDelete